updated 30 Aug 2016
There will be 3 stalls open in the school canteen over the 2 days.
Participants can purchase food directly from the canteen. Menu of available meals can be downloaded here.
Starting List, Pairings, Results
updated 29 Aug 2016
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many rounds will the teams be expected to play?
All teams are required to play all 6 rounds. Results are based on total points scored at the end of all 6 rounds.
2. Are girls allowed to play in the boys categories?
Girls will only be allowed to play in the boys categories should they be part of a mixed team. In such instances, the team can only register for the Open / Boys Open category.
3. What is an Incremental Time Control?
Each player starts off with 15 minutes to his/her clock. Starting from the first move, 10 seconds will be added to the clock after each move.
For more detailed explanation on the use of incremental timing, please refer to attached FAQ on Increment Time Controls.
4. Team Composition and Board Order
A team shall consist of 4 to 5 players, who shall be listed in a fixed order before the competition begins. The 5th player can only play on the last board of the team for each match.
5. How is the Pairing List read?
The first named team in each pairing shall play White on the odd-numbered boards and Black on the even numbered boards.
*(W) – White ; (B) – Black
6. What are the roles of a Team Captain?
7. What is the FIDE Zero Start rule?
Any player not at their board when the arbiter announced the start of the round shall lose the game by default, unless decided otherwise by the arbiters. The point shall be given to the opponent who is present, and the game will be recorded as a walk-over.
In the event both players are absent at the start of the round, both players will be awarded zero (0-0).
8. Will lunch be provided at the event?
No. All participants will be required to purchase their own meals at the school canteen, or the eateries at the nearby vicinity.
9. Will schools arriving by buses be required to obtain a verification letter?
For security purposes, schools arriving via buses will be required to obtain a letter from SCF certifying their participation at the tournament. This shall be presented to the security when requested.
updated 21 Jul 2016 ; 17 Aug 2016
1. Teachers are kindly requested to brief their players on these regulations. Captains appointed by the school shall either be teachers or students. All teams shall abide by these rules and regulations and any matters not covered for in these rules and regulations shall be at the discretion of the Organizers whose decision shall be final and no correspondences shall be entertained.
2. Playing Venue: Northland Primary School, 15 Yishun Avenue 4, Singapore 769026
3. Category: (Non-Rated Event)
|Tue, 06 Sep 2016||Primary Open Boys||No Age Limit (Limited to Pri Schools)|
|Primary Girls Open||No Age Limit (Limited to Pri Schools)|
|Primary Boys Under-11||Age as at 1st Jan 2016|
|Primary Girls Under-11||Age as at 1st Jan 2016|
|Primary Boys Under-9||Age as at 1st Jan 2016|
|Primary Girls Under-9||Age as at 1st Jan 2016|
|Wed, 07 Sep 2016||Open||No Age Limit|
|Open Girls||No Age Limit|
|Secondary Open||No Age Limit (Limited to Sec Schools)|
|Secondary Open Girls||No Age Limit (Limited to Sec Schools)|
|Secondary Open Under-14||Age as at 1st Jan 2016|
|Secondary Girls Under-14||Age as at 1st Jan 2016|
a) A younger player may play in a higher age-group category but not vice versa.
b) Mixed teams are allowed, but entered in the sections for Open/Boys.
c) The organizers reserve the right to combine sections with less than 6 teams.
d) A player can play in only one team.
e) Each school shall be allowed to register a maximum of 2 teams for each category.
4. Schedule: CLOSING DATE – Sunday, 28 August 2016 by 6 pm.
|Reporting||All team captains are to report by 8.15 am|
|Opening Ceremony||8.15 am to 8.30 am|
|Round 1||8.30 am to 9.30 am|
|Round 2||10.00 am to 11.00 am|
|Round 3||11.30 am to 12.30 pm|
|Lunch (Not Provided)||12.30 pm to 1.30 pm|
|Round 4||1.30 pm to 2.30 pm|
|Round 5||3.00 pm to 4.00 pm|
|Round 6||4.30 pm to 5.30 pm|
|Prize Presentation||6.00 pm to 7.00 pm|
5. Display of Photo ID / School Smartcard
All participants (Students, Parents, and Teachers) are required to bring a valid Photo ID / School Smartcard (for students). Participants who fail to do so may be denied entry to the tournament.
6. Team Composition and Board Order
A team shall consist of 5 players (minimum 4 players per team) who shall be listed in a fixed order before the competition begins. There shall be no imposition of rating in board order for the championships. The 5th named player can only play on the last board of the team for each match. For each wrong placing in the team, a default of 1 point shall be awarded to the opposing team.
7. The Championships shall be played under the FIDE Laws of Chess. Each player shall be given 15 minutes with 10 seconds increment starting from move 1. Each Match shall be contested over 4 boards (games). All teams are required to complete all rounds.
8. All players must be in school attire or proper school sports attire, failing which they would not be allowed to play until they are appropriately attired.
9. Teams from the same school MAY NOT play with each other in the last 2 rounds. The first named team in each pairing shall have White on the odd-numbered boards and Black on the even-numbered boards.
10. All players must keep a proper record of their games, failing which shall have no right of claim in the case of a dispute.
11. Upon the completion of a match, both Captains shall submit the duly signed Results Sheets to the Arbiter in charge. Where there is a walkover, this shall be indicated on the Result Sheet. All results on Results Sheets shall stand and cannot be changed once it is submitted to the Arbiter/s in charge of the section.
12. The FIDE ZERO START rule shall apply. A team conceding a walkover shall not be paired for the next round and the Arbiter must be consulted before the team can be reinstated for subsequent rounds.
13. Scoring is marked by a 1 point for a won game, ½ for draw and 0 for a loss. The team receiving a BYE shall be awarded 2 Game Points. The team with the highest number of Game Points will be declared the winner. In the case of a tie, it shall be resolved by (a) Match Points; (b) sum of the Game Points of all the team's opponent; (c) result between the teams involved.
14. Prizes (All Categories) shall be awarded to:
a. Top 3 teams in each category
b. Additional Zonal prizes for Top 3 teams in North, South, East & West zone
A team can win more than 1 prize.
(The Organizers reserve the right to increase the number of awards in the event of overwhelming entries received)
A Challenge Cup shall be awarded to the Best School based on:
(a) Sum of game points of 2 best teams
(b) In the event of a tie, it shall be resolved by the sum of Match Point, Progresssive score, Solkoff
(c) Declared as Joint Winners
15. Any dispute arising from a game shall be referred to the Section Arbiter or Chief Arbiter. An appeal to the Appeals Committee must be lodged in writing within 15 minutes of completion of the relevant playing session. The appeal must be accompanied by a deposit of $50 which will be forfeited if the appeal is rejected, or returned if the appeal is upheld. The ruling of the Appeals Committee shall be final. No appeals shall be accepted if the conditions above are not met.
16. Any Player found prompting would be expelled from the tournament immediately and no replacement shall be allowed.
17. On completion of a game, a player must leave the Playing Area, except for the Team Captain who has the responsibility of supervising his/her team. Any player found infringing this rule would be expelled from the Tournament.
18. No analysis of games or friendly games is allowed in the Playing Hall. Offenders shall be expelled directly from the tournament and play no further part in the tournament.
19. The use of mobile phones or electronic devices is prohibited and will be confiscated by the organizers. Any ring or sound arising from such devices during the game shall be an immediate loss without appeal.
21. Please keep the school compound clean and refrain from wandering into restricted areas in the school.